Warning: this post is a long one!
Okay, I am sick to death of the sizing system in clothing. xs, s, m, l, xl, xxl, the word "plus-size" and jean sizes of "0". WHO THOUGHT THIS UP? Designers apparently don't care about girls dying of eating disorders, or destroying women's positive self-image. If they did they would change their ways. Measuring your waist, hips,etc. in actual inches, is how clothes are cut, measured and sewn. Alternate sizing was completely made up by some fool. How can they think that any perfectly healthy, normal, girl or woman who has to pick out a shirt with a tag that says x-tra x-tra large on it can really be confident in her beauty.
If the clothing was sized in actual inches, I think there would be better self-image for everyone, not to mention, it would be SO MUCH EASIER to find clothes that fit you properly. I sew a lot, and it annoys me to no end that they have measurements and then TRANSLATIONS into what size that could POSSIBLY be. I don't need a translation, I just measured myself!! GRRRR!!! There would be no such thing as a "0" because even the tiniest stick-thin models have an actual number of inches (that's right, plural, Inch-ES) around their waistlines. What??? Really?? yep. It's true. If everything was measured in inches, there would be no such thing as a "SMALL" or "EXTRA SMALL" size. I speak up for those girls who have naturally thin figures too. How irritating for everyone to assume you are a "0" size, and then despise you for it. I have thin friends that hate that they are thin, too, and they are not healthy because they are eating junk food trying to gain curves. Oh, so you're a 32 top, and 36 bottom? Or you're a 28 top and a 26 bottom? It's a number, not a definition. BONUS: You would know immediately if something fit you. (Without even trying it on! GASP!)
And how are words like "Plus-size" helping anyone? I can say with surety they are not. Furthermore, for a size 8 to be considered "Plus-size" is just mean. It is mean, it is heartless, it is just plain unnecessary. If everything was in inches, and there was no "small" there was no "plus-size" The world would be a better place. At least in my view.
Last words: Being healthy, and being thin, are completely different things. I have a girlfriend who runs marathons, and she is a size 16-18. FITNESS does NOT mean skinny. Just my two cents. It angers me when I see 7,10, and 13 year old girls talking about diets and how they never want to be "fat". Disturbing. And what do they consider fat? curvy? a bit of tummy? a round face shape? We have to change our thinking, and be examples to our daughters, and girls who look up to us. If we are not happy with our amazing bodies, they won't be either.
You don't have to lose weight to be happy, and you don't have to be skinny to be healthy. Thanks to Wesley who loves me and all my curves, even the ones leftover from baby. ;) It's taken me a long time, but now I love them too.
if only we had lots of money and someone to make our clothes fit exactly to what our body is. wow...that would be spectacular.
ReplyDeleteso true... ;)
ReplyDelete